Description: The French Revolution is famous in part for the use of the guillotine to put nobles to death, and this is the macabre subject of this light card game.
As executioners pandering to the masses, the players are trying to behead the least popular nobles. Each day the nobles are lined up and players take turns killing the ones at the front of the line until all the nobles are gone.
However, players are given cards which will manipulate the line order right before 'harvesting,' which is what makes the game interesting. After three days worth of chopping, the highest total carries the day.
How to PlayWhere to Play Online
- Gleemax (Free - Registration Required)
Cheat Sheets (from the Geek)Game Hints
- Basic Strategy: None that I can find
- My Tips: There isn't much strategy in Guillotine. Maybe in terms of using your action cards to maximize your own score while screwing your opponents is about it.
- Opinion: I fun light game. Good to use at the beginning or at the end of a game session.
- Online: Works fine online once your in Gleemax.
- Work: Could easily play a game during lunch.
- Home: Fun and light, the beheading and gloomy aspect might not be good for kids.
- Plays best with: Works fine with 2-5 players, best with 4.
- Gateway Suitability: Very easy to learn, might take two games to grasp it.
- Spouse Suitability: Chrissy liked it.
- Re-playability: This has ok replay value if you view it as a light game. Otherwise mid to low replay value.
- Real Life Setup: A few minutes, shuffle and deal.
- Real Life Time/Length: Takes around 30 minutes.
- Geek Link: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/116