Description: This game is about cultivating and watering fields. To accomplish this, a number of tiles denoting various plantation types come into the game each round. The tiles are auctioned off such that each player gets one, and the tiles are then placed onto the game board along with an ownership marker that also indicates how plentiful the tile’s yield will be. Whoever bid the lowest in each round gets to be the canal overseer and decides where a canal will be built that round. The other players may make suggestions to help the canal overseer decide, and back up their suggestions with money. The final decision is always wholly up to the overseer, though.
At the end of each round, players determine what the water supply situation looks like. Should a plantation not be sufficiently watered, its production drops dramatically; should it happen more than once, then that plantation may revert to fallow ground. At game’s end, naturally only the cultivated land counts. Each plantation is counted according to type – the bigger the better. But since the ownership markers play a role as well, the same plantation can give drastically different points for different players.
How to Play
- Board Games with Scott (Video)
- Spiel by Web (Online Rules)
- Amigo (Official Rulebook in pdf)
- Z-Man Games (Official Rulebook in pdf)
- Spiel by Web (Free - Registration Required)
Cheat Sheets (from the Geek)
- Opinion: I really enjoy this game. I like it more live, than online. The game is constantly moving live.
- Online: Works fine, a little slow if everyone isn't online.
- Work: First game could go over an hour of lunch time.
- Home: Great for gamers, ok for others. Still pretty easy to pickup.
- Plays best with: Best with 5 (ok with 3-4).
- Gateway Suitability: S0-s0, might take a few games to grasp everything.
- Spouse Suitability: Chrissy didn't care for this.
- Re-playability: Online it will be pretty high, as its a turn based game.
- Real Life Setup: A few minutes, just organizing the pieces..
- Real Life Time/Length: 45-65 minutes.
- Geek Link: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/8125