Description: In Colossal Arena there are a group of eight creatures that are fighting. Each round, one of the creatures will die. To decide which unlucky sod will be the victim, players put numbered power cards in front of the creatures, with the lowest one going the way of the dodo. But what makes this game interesting at all is that players can make five bets throughout the game which will sometimes allow them to use a creature's special power and gives the game a method of scoring at the end.
Titan: The Arena is actually a reworking of a Reiner Knizia game called Grand National Derby, but Avalon Hill's remake was quite significant from a game play standpoint.
The Titan: The Arena printing is often confused with its namesake, Titan. But other than the fact that they both use fantasy creatures as a general theme, there's very little similar between the two.
How to Play
Where to Play Online
- Ludoholic (Free - Registration Required)
Cheat Sheets (from the Geek)
- Teaching Aid (Downloads a Doc)
- Basic Strategy: Thread on the Geek
- My Tips: Coming Soon
- Opinion: I enjoy this game. Easy to grasp and play.
- Online: Works fine online, haven't played it enough online though.
- Work: Should be fine for lunch time play.
- Home: Great game for the family or a couple. Theme might be to much.
- Plays best with: Works fine with 2-5 players, best with 3.
- Gateway Suitability: Very easy to learn, could be a second tier gateway.
- Spouse Suitability: Chrissy hasn't played this yet..
- Re-playability: For me it is infrequent.
- Real Life Setup: A few minutes of sorting cards, but I do have them sleeved.
- Real Life Time/Length: 45 minutes.
- Geek Link: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/105