Description: Historically, Albrecht von Wallenstein, duke of Friedland and Mecklenburg was one of the most important mercenary commanders of the Imperial army during the Thirty Years' War (1618-48). His overweening ambition was to head a large central European empire which got him dismissed in 1630. Such was his power, however, that the empire was forced to reinstate him when Sweden came into the fray. He recovered Bohemia, but was defeated by Gustavus Adolphus at Lützen, and was again dismissed. His subsequent intrigues with Protestant forces alarmed the Catholic princes who were probably complicit in his assassination in 1634 by Irish mercenaries at Eger, Bohemia.
The game begins with the start of the war, each player controlling several countries. Player actions include the conquest of new countries, tax collection, erection of buildings (i.e. development of the economy), feeding the populace, victualing the army, etc. Some actions increase the chance for unrest and expensive rebellions can occur. The strongest power at the end wins.
Employs the cube tower included in the publisher's previous game, Im Zeichen des Kreuzes. Republished in late 2006 as Shogun with changes to theme and some rules changes.
How to Play
Where to Play Online
- Spiel by Web (Free - Registration Required)
Cheat Sheets (from the Geek)
- Basic Strategy: Thread on the Geek
- My Tips: Coming Soon
- Opinion: I enjoy this game. It is an easy game to learn. I can teach it and go over it at lunch time, at the house or online.
- Online: Works fine online
- Work: Could be to long the first time, but should be fine after that for lunch time play.
- Home: Great game for the family or a couple.
- Plays best with: Works fine with 3-5 players, best with 5.
- Gateway Suitability: Very easy to learn, might take two games to grasp.
- Spouse Suitability: Chrissy hasn't played this yet..
- Re-playability: Very frequent it does see table and online action.
- Real Life Setup: A few minutes, just placing tiles in the bag, and handing out pieces.
- Real Life Time/Length: 120-150 minutes.
- Geek Link: http://boardgamegeek.com/game/3307